Effective June 29, 2021 the City of Manitowoc Common Council approved Revisions to the Municipal Sign Ordinance repealing Section 15.450 and creating Chapter 31 of the City of Manitowoc Municipal Code. This ordinance complies with recent U.S. Supreme Court decisions related to content neutrality.
A user friendly interactive map and online code portal have been created which allows users to easily search, filter and determine what signs are allowed in the 14 unique sign districts which were created to group similar properties into a district regardless of their zoning. Graphics, illustrations, and tables have been added to help clarify regulations as they relate to sign types and specific standards.
The online Municipal Code text is in the process of being updated but a temporary link has been provided below to the revised sign code text document.
Department staff are happy to answer any questions you may have and appreciate your patience as we work together to implement this new process.
Revised Sign Code
Sign Permit Application
- Draft in process, please use this form in the interim
- Compliance with Reed v. Gilbert Supreme Court Decision
- Creation of unique sign districts
- Increased user friendliness and uniformity in regulation
- Interactive map and online sign code portal
- New sign types and definitions to reflect modern business practices
- Protect the safety of the public by requiring proper sign maintenance and design/construction standards
- Use of graphics, illustrations, and tables
For more information, please call (920) 686-6940 or email staff.