Planting, Removal, or Trimming of Trees

Planting a Tree

If you would like to plant a tree on a city right-of-way, such as on the terrace area of your property (i.e. between the sidewalk and the street), please read the planting policy and then apply for a free planting permit.  

Tree Owner's Manual distributed by the U.S. Forest Service & the Northeastern Area State and Private Forestry

Removing/Trimming a Tree

If a contractor you hire or you yourself would like to remove or trim more than 25% of a terrace tree, please read the Tree Maintenance & Removal Priority Policy and apply for a removal permit. A fee may apply if you do not replace the terrace tree. Property owners may trim terrace trees without a permit as long as not more than 25% of the tree is trimmed.  

For private or public terrace trees within 10 feet of power lines that need trimming, please contact Manitowoc Public Utilities at (920) 683-4600.  City of Manitowoc Forestry Staff is not certified to remove limbs within 10 feet of a power line at this time.

The Forestry Division is unable to assist with trees on private property unless they cause a public nuisance or public safety hazard. Trees over the property line may be trimmed back to the property line. 

Report a Concern

To request forestry services or report a concern, click here or call the Forestry Office at (920) 686-3580 weekdays between 7:30 AM and 4:00 PM.  The City Forester or his/her designee will review your request and leave a door hanger on site, if possible, indicating his/her decision regarding the request. If you do not agree with the City Forester's action plan for a public tree, you may request to discuss it with him/her a second time, but the City's Forester decision regarding public trees, such as street trees between the sidewalk and street, is final.

Appeals for Private Property Trees

If you wish to appeal the Forester's decision regarding a private property tree (for example, a tree that is NOT located on the terrace area between the sidewalk and the street), please send a written appeal via e-mail to or to the Board of Public Works at 900 Quay St., Manitowoc, WI 54220 within seven (7) days. The Board of Public Works will hear the appeal within 15 days of receipt. After the hearing, the Board of Public Works will make a recommendation to the Common Council regarding the issue.