National Night Out is designed to:
- Heighten crime and drug prevention awareness
- Generate support for, and participation in, local anticrime programs
- Strengthen neighborhood spirit and police-community partnerships
- Send a message to criminals letting them know that neighborhoods are organized and fighting back
Along with the traditional display of outdoor lights and front porch vigils, Manitowoc neighborhoods 'celebrate' National Night Out with a variety of events and activities such as:
- Block parties
- Visits from Manitowoc police officers
National Night Out has proven to be an effective, inexpensive, and enjoyable program to promote the neighborhood watch program and police-community partnerships in our fight for a safer Manitowoc community.
National Night Out is always scheduled on the first Tuesday in August.