News Flash Home
The original item was published from 8/4/2017 2:40:14 PM to 10/1/2017 12:00:10 AM.

News Flash

Parks and Recreation

Posted on: August 4, 2017

[ARCHIVED] Emerald Ash Borer identified within the City of Manitowoc

Emerald Ash Borer photo

On July 26, 2017, the City of Manitowoc received confirmation from the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources that Emerald Ash Borer (EAB) has been detected in the City for the first time.  EAB was confirmed in the 900 block of S. 20th St., and infested trees can be seen on public and private property in the immediate vicinity.  The City-owned trees will be removed by Parks crews in late fall/early winter when EAB is inactive.

Finding EAB in the City came as no surprise.  Manitowoc County has been under quarantine for EAB since 2014, when infestations were found in neighboring Calumet and Sheboygan Counties.  The first detection of EAB in Manitowoc County was on private property in the Town of Schleswig in 2016, and the insect was also found in the Town of Cooperstown earlier this year. 

EAB has been found to be nearly 100% fatal to untreated Ash trees.  Property owners with Ash trees should keep a close watch for signs of possible EAB infestation: thinning of the canopy, D-shaped exit holes in the bark, new branches sprouting low on the trunk, cracked bark, and woodpeckers removing the bark to get to the insect larvae beneath it.  Mountain Ash is not susceptible to the insect. 

Ash owners should consider protective insecticide treatment after considering several factors, including the current structural and health condition of the trees, age, size, and the number of trees.  Treatment costs vary depending on the size of the tree and whether treatments are done by the property owner or a professional.  Residents should contact an ISA Certified Arborist for expert advice about treating or removing Ash trees.  Residents who remove their Ash trees should consider tree replacement with different species that are not susceptible to EAB.

For information about EAB and insecticide treatments, visit:

The City’s Parks and Forestry Division will be monitoring Ash trees for signs of EAB infestation. Residents with city-owned trees can contact the Parks and Forestry Office at (920) 686-3580 with questions.  The Parks and Forestry webpage at also has information for residents.

Sign up for News Flash and/or Emergency Alert texts or e-mails about activities in the City by going to  Click on the ‘Notify Me’ button and follow the instructions. 


If I think my terrace tree is infected, what do I do?

Call the Parks and Forestry Office at (920) 686-3580 and report the tree.  The tree will be inspected by the City Forester.  If infestation is confirmed, the tree will be scheduled for removal late fall/early winter when EAB are inactive.

I have a healthy looking terrace Ash tree I want to have removed.  What do I do?

We have your tree inventoried.  If it is a healthy tree, no action will be taken at this time.

What kind of treatment options are there for Ash trees and what is the cost?

The City does not treat terrace trees.  If you have a private tree you are concerned about you can contact a local ISA Certified Arborist.  The city does not make recommendations for ISA Certified Arborists.

I want to keep my infected terrace tree.  Can I pay to have the tree treated?

Yes.  The City Forester will inspect and confirm EAB.  Treatment of trees will be handled on a case by case basis by the City Forester.

Will the City remove the stump and replace an Ash tree removed?

It is the homeowner’s responsibility to remove the stump.  Trees may be replaced when funds become available. 

Will the City Forester give me advice on a tree on my private property?

No.  You will need to contact an ISA Certified Arborist for advice.

Who are the ISA Certified Arborists in the area?

The City does not make recommendations.

Am I able to keep the wood from my terrace tree if it is cut down?

EAB affected trees will be sold at the standard fee charged for any other wood.  Wood should be used as firewood for that property and should not be moved, sold or transported outside the quarantine area.  Wood must be burned before April 1st of the next year to help reduce the spread of EAB.

What can I do as a homeowner with the wood from my private tree?

Manitowoc is under EAB quarantine.  It is a system of rules intended to help prevent the spread of EAB.  The rules restrict the movement of firewood and ash products out of the quarantined areas.  Quarantines are administered by the USDA Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service and the Wisconsin Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection.  Violations of the quarantine rules can result in State and federal fines up to $1,000.00.  For more information go to and click on firewood regulations.

 Where can I get more information about EAB?

These websites offer more detailed information about EAB:

Additional Info...
Facebook Twitter Email

Other News in Parks and Recreation