The Bird City Wisconsin organization recently renewed the City of Manitowoc’s status as a Bird City and awarded the City of Manitowoc High Flyer status. The City has received the Bird City designation each year since 2011 for its willingness to act to promote healthy bird populations.
Bird City Wisconsin was created in 2009 and began recognizing communities the following year. Bird City Wisconsin recognizes communities as a Bird City if they “succeed in enhancing the environment for birds and in educating the public about the interactions between birds and people and about the contributions birds make to a healthy community.” Recognition criteria are organized in six categories:
- Habitat creation, protection, and monitoring;
- Community forestry management;
- Limiting or removing threats to birds;
- Public education;
- Energy and sustainability; and
- World Migratory Bird Day.
High Flyer status is awarded to communities that go above and beyond in their dedication to local conservation and education. The City of Manitowoc’s narrative can be found online at: https://birdcitywisconsin.org/bird-city/manitowoc.
The City of Manitowoc’s World Migratory Bird Day event will be celebrated at the Lincoln Park Zoo, 1215 N 8th St., on Saturday, May 8, 2021 from 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. World Migratory Bird Day is a day set aside to celebrate the migration of hundreds of species of birds between their wintering sites to their summer nesting sites. This year’s theme is “Sing, Fly, Soar – Like a Bird!” The event will highlight birdwatching, how to identify birds, and the power of flight. Visitors can learn about these topics and more by reading information and doing activities set up throughout the Lincoln Park Zoo.
Questions can be directed to the City of Manitowoc Parks Division at 920-686-3580 or firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information about Bird City Wisconsin, vist www.BirdCityWisconsin.org or contact email@example.com.
Get up-to-date information on City activities by:
- Following the Manitowoc Parks and Recreation Department on Facebook;
- Receiving information via text or e-mail. Sign up at www.manitowoc.org/notifyme.; or
- Downloading the City of Manitowoc app from the App Store or Google Play, clicking on the Alert Center and subscribing to any number of alert types.