The Community Built Playground at upper Henry Schuette Park, 3800 Broadway Street, is re-opening at 4:00 p.m. today (Friday, July 30th). The playground had been closed since Monday, July 19th for a maintenance project. Several volunteers assisted with numerous repairs the first week of the project. Some of the repairs/improvements that were made include:
- Rebuilding and reshingling of roofs on play towers;
- Removing and rebuilding approxmately 90% of the railings and spindles;
- Reinforcement of numerous framing and decking issues;
- Addressing a number of safety compliance issues with the play elements;
- Repainting all of the painted surfaces;
- Pressure washing of the deck; and
- Adding new rubber chips.
The bulk of the expenses for this project are being paid from a maintenance fund donated by the Friends of the Park, Inc. group in 2003.
The City of Manitowoc Parks and Recreation Division would like to thank everyone who participated in or donated to this project.
Follow the Manitowoc Parks and Recreation Division on Facebook for additional information or receive information via text message or email by visiting www.manitowoc.org/notifyme and following the instructions.